The Colon Township Library, founded in 1897, has been housed at 128 South Blackstone Avenuesince 1914 when a bequest of $15,000 from Oliver and Mary Culver funded the construction of the present building. Its Prairie-style design contrasts with the Beaux-Arts Classical design of many of the libraries built at the same time. A two-story (plus basement) structure of orange glazed brick, its bracketed gable roof, Richardsonian arched second-story windows, and symmetrical design lend a dignified and stately appearance to the building.
A major addition completed in 2006 nearly doubled the square footage of the main floor and added a ground-level entrance and elevator for accessibility. This addition complements the original design and features a stained glass arched window on the west side of the building.